We started out on the right side of the page with our learning goal in curriculum language. After discussing what it meant, students completed a student-friendly learning goal on the left side of the page (their output) - we came up with the goal together and everybody used it in their journals. We then discussed "what I already know" and added that below on the left side.
Once the right hand side of the page is complete (the input) we go back to the left side of the page. This time I asked the students to independently come up with their "what I learned" statement - related to the information they just learned through the lesson. (I do a gradual release of responsibility for the left side of the page - mid way through October, they are expected to do a little more independently on the left side of the journals). From there, they had to do their proof of learning - I reminded them that the proof had to be directly related to what they wrote for "what I learned" - this allows for differentiation because they are coming up with a problem and solving it at their own level. They also completed this part independently. For the reflection, I wrote down a question related to the entry, and they answered the question in writing.