I made it to the end of the year.
That alone is reason to celebrate.
But ... I've managed to accomplish a few more things to share.
I made a beautiful summer wreath for my door. I had seen a gorgeous wreath with little red tulip buds, and headed out to Michaels to gather some supplies. But alas, they didn't have nearly enough tulip buds to make a wreath. So, I had to come up with a new plan. I finally (after many handfuls of flowers and making my daughter lay them out on the floor in a circle shape) decided on green hydrangea blossoms and little cream rose buds. I love it.
Now, I should mention, I'm not one for fussy crafts. I can't be bothered with the floral wire and tape, so I just snipped the flowers off the stems with my scissors, and pulled out my glue gun. Everything you see is glue gunned on (is that a verb?), which made the entire process much quicker, and I didn't even burn myself this time. (But, one week later and the "E" has fallen off ... maybe I should have glued that one on a little stronger). For the wreath I used 4 large hydrangea blossoms, and about 7 bunches of cream rose buds. Isn't it pretty??
I also finally finished my Text Structure Concept Posters. They had been on my to-do list forever, and had been sitting unfinished in my permanently open PowerPoint tab on my computer. But, I put the push on, and finished them up.
I included 2 different posters for each text structure (cause and effect, compare and contrast, description, problem and solution, and sequence). One poster is more general - perfect for teaching or modelling the text structure. The other poster is more text specific (but can be used with any nonfiction text) - focusing on what the student learned from the text, using the text structure. It also includes a graphic organizer specific to the text structure. This one is great for a summative assessment.
I also included a student checklist for success criteria, rubric, blank template, and completed example.
Last but not least, I made this little beauty last night for tonight's supper. The strawberries and rhubarb are fresh out of my garden, and as soon as my husband picked them, I knew a pie was in order.
The recipe was quick and easy ... because that's how I roll in the summer. ;)
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- 3 1/2 cups strawberries (quartered)
- 3 1/2 cups rhubarb (cut into 1/2" slices)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsp butter
Mix all ingredients (except the butter) and pour into prepared pie shell (I used a frozen shell, because I can't stand rolling out pie dough).
Dab butter on top before putting on top crust (I thawed the frozen shell a bit and used my pizza cutter to cut strips so I could make a lattice top).
Brush top with cream or milk and sprinkle sugar on top (I used raw sugar). *This step is completely optional.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, then turn the oven down to 350 degrees and bake for another 25-30 minutes.
And, that's that. I'm linking up with my friend Tara over at 4th Grade Frolics for her fabulous Made-It-Monday ... and I can't wait to share a lot more Monday Made-Its with you this summer. :)