My students were already pretty good at identifying notes on the staff, so after a quick review, I let them work in pairs to create as many "musical" words as they could - using the letters from the music notes: C, D, E, F, G, A, B.
They also had to write the notes for all of the words they found. This picture shows just some of the words the students found.
This was our anchor chart showing our learning goal and success criteria.
Students needed to write a poem that had at least 2 quatrains, a rhyme scheme of their choice, and a pleasing rhythm. They needed to include at least 8 "musical words" - one per line.
I printed off an image of sheet music I found, and we used tea bags to give the sheet music an antique look. This was used for our background frame to mount our poems on.
These are two of our finished products!!! LOVE them! When all the students finish, I'm going to make a bulletin board display on black paper ... and I think I have a music border in one of my cupboards ...
I'm working a little product right now to integrate my music unit with my math unit on fractions - hoping to finish it this weekend so I can get my students working on it early this week. This month is going to FLY by (thank goodness!!!)
Happy Saturday! It's a dreary one here, but I'm excited to get to some baking with the rhubarb from my garden. I think there's a strawberry rhubarb crumble in our future tonight!