We've got some rhythm going on in our classroom right now! OK - so maybe we're not dancing around the classroom yet - but considering I've still got over three weeks to go, that could be a good thing.
I've added a magnet to the back of each card so we can use them on the black board or any magnetic surface.
We also had a lot of fun figuring out what rhythm patterns our names were - mine (Jennifer) would be an elephant ... figures <sigh>.
I keep my rhythm cards in baggies with about 10 - 15 cards in each baggie. I divided my class into groups, and let each group make a few rhythm patterns to practice. They got to perform (by clapping) their rhythm patterns for the class.
I then invited each group up to the black board to start making a large rhythm pattern with 4 beat measures. Each group came up and added to what the previous group had done. Before a new group could add their cards, they had to clap the rhythm pattern already made on the blackboard.
Tomorrow we are going to integrate our poetry writing by creating a rap to go along with our rhythm pattern - I did stress that only appropriate lyrics will "fly", but I'm not that nervous ... it's going to be so much fun! I'm going to record their raps on my iPad - watch out, Grammys ... here we come!